Muzungu Sisters's traditional Sicilian 'coffa' basket is handcrafted using local palma nana straw and adorned with multicolour pompoms, mirrors and buttons.
Handmade by an older generation of artisans in Sicily, the basket begins its journey when a weaver near Palermo heads to the mountains to collect the palma nana straw, which is then woven by hand into the basket. The basket then travels to the east coast of Sicily where it is lovingly adorned with pompoms and mirrors in the ancient Sicilian tradition by a distinguished signora. The adornments are sewed on, stitch by stitch, never glued on as you will find with other baskets. The signora is one of the last remaining producers that still knows the intricacies of this particular art form. All in all, it takes three days to make each basket.
It's the perfect beach accessory or use yours for a trip to the local farmers market.
• Tote style basket
• Handwoven from 100% palma nana straw
• Natural coloured tote with red and pink pompoms
• Embellished with glass mirrors, pompoms, and gold-coloured buttons
• Two top handles
• Ball and loop closure
• Handcrafted in Italy
• Dimensions: Top Width: 52cm, Bottom Width: 24cm, Height: 30cm
• Please note all the baskets are made by hand and colour ways may slightly vary from the photo